About Me

Frisco, Texas, United States
I'm a middle-aged, bitter, divorced woman making every day a great day. I have two grown children.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Golf again and I found unclaimed property

So Thursday I start the ladies golf league again. I haven't hit a ball in weeks. I swung a lob wedge at the dog toy on my lunch break, so I'm sure I'm totally prepared now. My next plan of action is to by some whiffle balls so I can practice in the backyard. I  might need to get some tanning lotion for my legs too so that I don't reflect the sunlight in anyone's eyes.


Well not sure why I did this, but for some strange reason I decided someone just might owe me money. I went to the unclaimed property website and found my name. My heart was pounding. Maybe I could pay off my house and retire early, maybe enough for a new car......


Sallie Mac owes me money for the first house I ever owned down in Austin. Unfortunately, Sallie Mac only owes me .45 cents. No sense/cents trying to get it since the paperwork and postage would put me in the negative.....and with my luck I'd have to get my ex-husband's signature on the paperwork and split the money with him. 


Oh and while on the subject of that first house. Bought it for $24K in 1989. It is now tax appraised at $215K. Wish I still had it. It was built in 1940 and is only 900 sq. ft, but it is on 1/4 acre with 100+ oak trees. Hindsight is 20/20. 


Funny but when I bought my first house, my house payment was less than my 1-bedroom apartment. Ironic that my new/old house is almost half the price as the rent on my 2-bedroom apartment I had last year. I did hear on Squawkbox this morning that rents are higher than owning right now. They were even telling people how to use IRA money to purchase real estate, but I didn't pay attention....maybe I should have.

No comments:

Post a Comment