About Me

Frisco, Texas, United States
I'm a middle-aged, bitter, divorced woman making every day a great day. I have two grown children.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Toilets, Electrical Outlets, and Wifi in Europe (England and Italy)

Today, I'm here to give some practical information about toilets, electrical outlets, and Wifi in Europe. I was smart enough to know that I needed an electrical adapter for Italy. That is the only thing I was smart about. In photo, the adapter is behind the three-outlet tap. 

We borrowed two adapters for our trip. In Italy the outlets are two round holes. I decided one outlet was not enough because we needed to charge two phones, two tablets, and a camera each night. A quick trip to Family Dollar fixed that. I bought a $2.25 package of two three-outlet tap thingys to attach to the two adapters so we could charge up to six items simulataneously.

I did not realize that London has different electrical outlets. They have two rectangle holes. We did find one outlet in the bathroom that fit our Italian adapter so we were able to charge our items. The hotel was also kind enough to offer to loan us adapters to use while we were there. 

The first day in London I declared that our toilet was not working. No water was flowing. I had a little toilet paper in the toilet and it wouldn't go down. I flushed about 10 times and was getting ready to call front desk. Nicky, in is infinite wisdom, let me know that I had to pump the toilet. Wow. So this toilet had a cylinder in the wall and you pumped it a few times and then flushed. The next toilet I encountered in London had a handle on the toilet, but you also pumped it up and down a few times before flushing. You can't pump too hard or you do a bad flush. Dexterity is a must. 

In Italy, the toilets are similar to US toilets, but the tanks are behind the walls. No pumping is involved, but they have a number one and a number two button. Number one (small button is for just that). Number two (large button is for just that).

I have cheap MetroPCS in the states. I did turn on International calling (not sure what good that did, but it is only $10). All hotels have Wifi and almost every restaurant we went to except one had Wifi. This made it a breeze to map things, load pics to Facebook, and even make Wifi calls to the states. On Mother's day, I was sitting on the Isle of Capri and my Bruno Mars ring tone went off. It was my son calling  me to wish me a Happy Mother's day. I was able to call my mom while sitting on a patio having lunch overlooking the ocean with a Limoncello.

Another tidbit, have cash. Lots of cabs didn't take credit cards. You also need a credit card with a chip in it at most places. Many hotels let us charge the room, but wanted cash for all other charges. Some places had a minimum amount in order to use a credit card. We spent plenty of time at ATMs.




No comments:

Post a Comment