About Me

Frisco, Texas, United States
I'm a middle-aged, bitter, divorced woman making every day a great day. I have two grown children.

Tuesday, May 19, 2015

European Vacation 10 days

We almost look Photoshopped in with our bright colors.
I have been wanting to visit Italy for the past 20 years and no one would go with me. Must be my charming personality.

Anyway, Nick agreed to go with me (as he is my boyfriend and it was my 50th birthday request). That is me giving Nick a thank you kiss at Lido Del Faro beach in Capri as we do a selfie.

Lido Del Faro beach




I had told my coworkers a few months how long I had wanted to go on this trip, but it was just too much work to plan it. I was ready to just throw in the towel and go to the British Virgin Islands,  drink PainKillers, and lie on the beach. My coworkers convinced me to get my act together and plan my dream trip. I thank them so much for pushing me. It was a wonderful trip.

Due to both of our jobs, we had to wait a while to book flights and we had to move the trip up a week. After the wait, we could no longer get nonstop flights between DFW and Rome. We went May 7 to May 17th, 2015.  I got home three days before my birthday, but that is fine by me. It was an awesome trip and the weather was absolutely beautiful.

I'm going to blog over the next few days as time permits with reviews, pictures, and prices of the hotel rooms, food, and tours.

Below is a rundown of the transportation and hotels.....urgh. 
  • Flight to London Heathrow (9 hours and TSA hates me there...details to come later). 
  • Stay a few hours during the day at the Marriott to nap off jet lag and have lunch with the locals.
  • Flight to Rome (2 hours). 
  • Arrive late at night and cab it to Hilton Rome Airport.
  • Wake up and cab it to Roma Termini (central train station).
  • Take train Trenatalia to Naples.
  • Cab it to port Molo Beverello.
  • Fast ferry over to Isle of Capri.
  • Take hotel shuttle to Hotel Carmencita. This sounds like a lot of traveling, but only took half a day.
  • Spent three wonderful days in Capri.
  • Shuttle back to port Marina Grande.
  • Fast ferry to Naples.
  • Train to Rome, but this time took Italo (with wifi) to Roma Tiburtina (much more laid back than Termini.) Again about half day of traveling.
  • Stayed three chaotic, wonderful days at Relais Navonna 71 on Piazza Navonna.
  • Flight to London Heathrow late in evening so stayed overnight at Double Tree Westminster.
  • A few hours to slink around London.
  • Cab it to Heathrow airport (Again they hate me).
  • Fly to Chicago (eight hours?).
  • Fly to Dallas (2.5 hours).
This vacation was the Yin and Yang of trips. Yin was the hectic running around trying to catch up with 25-year old archaeologists as they run you through the ruins. We were on our feet for hours at a time. As Nick said "My dogs are hurting". Yang was the most beautiful relaxing water and beaches of Capri. The people were friendly in Italy, but even more friendly in England....except Heathrow where they hate me.




No comments:

Post a Comment